Criminal Probation Columbus, Georgia

inmate standing with arms hanging over prison bars as he is about to begin criminal probation in Columbus, Georgia

Probation allows defendants to avoid incarceration if conditions imposed by the court as part of the treatment program are met. Probation programs can have both general and special conditions.

What Are General Conditions for Criminal Probation in Georgia?

General conditions are required in all probation programs. General conditions include:

  • Not violating any laws
  • Avoiding bad habits like drug or alcohol use
  • Avoiding people and places that are disreputable or harmful
  • Meeting with your probation officer as planned
  • Holding down a job
  • Remaining at your current residence and not moving outside of the jurisdiction of the court or out of state without the permission of your probation officer.

What Are Special Conditions for Probation?

Special conditions for criminal probation are determined on a case-by-case basis. Some examples include performing community service, attending a drug treatment program, or being barred from contact with victims. In cases where the property has been damaged, the defendant may be required to pay for the property.

Probation Programs in Georgia

Georgia probation programs could include day work, house arrest, or wearing a monitoring device. Georgia also has an intensive probation program that requires more meetings with a probation officer and imposes curfews in the evening.

Violating Probation

Violating probation can result in being imprisoned. The court can end criminal probation if any of the conditions are not met. There are two types of probation violations: technical and substantive. Failing to pay fees, failing to finish community service, or not reporting to a probation officer are examples of technical violations. Committing another crime would be considered a substantive violation.

An attorney can help you fight for probation if you’ve been arrested. To learn more, call Wadkins & Wallace at (706) 221-9451 or contact us online to review your case for free.